Our bodies are amazing things, and our teeth are no exception! We often forget how much they really do for us in our everyday lives. They help us chew our food and make our smiles bright. But there is so much more to your teeth and dental health that you might not know. We have ten cool, fun facts about teeth and dental health.
- Did you know that no two people have the same set of teeth? They are all unique – just like your fingerprints, and just like YOU!
- The average person spends 38.5 days brushing their teeth in their lifetime. Now that’s a month well spent!
- Teeth start to form before you are even born. In fact, babies begin forming teeth when they are in the womb, and some babies are even born with teeth.
- If you floss one time a day for your entire life (which you should be doing…hint, hint), you will use about 5 miles of floss in your lifetime. Wow!
- If you had a toothache in Germany in the middle ages, you would have been prescribed to “kiss a donkey.” Thank goodness for modern medicine, right?
- Enamel, the outer white portion of the tooth, is the hardest substance of the body.
- The average person makes about 1 quart of saliva a day. That is 10,000 gallons of spit in a lifetime!
- The first dentists were actually barbers by trade. However, we are unable to give you a fresh cut for your next appointment. Sorry! 😉
- Flossing just once a day an extend your lifespan by a whole 6 years. If that’s not enough reason to floss, we don’t know what is!
- Most adults have 32 teeth while children will only have 20.
- The secret phrase is DONKEY TEETH!
Dental health is an amazing topic, and there are so many fun facts about teeth out there! Do you know a fact that wasn’t listed here? Share with us – we’d love to know! In the meantime, schedule an appointment with us to make sure that your teeth are as healthy as can be – no donkey smooching necessary.